Jen Miller McEachern: Beyond Brilliant

I can hardly wait to introduce you to the next Master of Sports Leadership alumni spotlight! Jen Miller McEachern is as sharp as she is kind - keep reading and you'll see what I mean. If you're looking to network with someone, Jen is your gal. Now, without further ado...


Where are you now? And what are your job responsibilities? 

Currently, I hold two positions:

1.  Executive Director - National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA): This is a national organization that supports NCAA DIII Women's Gymnastics Programs.  
Administer, interpret and enforce the rules, policies and procedural provisions of the organization.
Develop and manage the yearly budget and all financial obligations for the 501(c)(3) organization. 
Serve as the NCGA’s primary liaison to other related associations and organizations such as USA Gymnastics, NCAA, WIAC and NACGC/W.
Supervisor for Director of Communications and Strategic Media; responsible for hiring, training, annual evaluation, professional development.
Establish an ongoing program of corporate financial support. 
Schedule, arrange and conduct all meetings/conference calls; produce and distribute all agendas and minutes for these events.
•     Tournament Director for East Regional Qualifier and National Championship.

2.  Assistant Director/SWA- New England Women and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC):  This is a DIII athletic conference based in the Boston area.
Support the executive director in overall leadership of the conference.
Supervisor for Coordinator of Administration and Communications responsible for training, annual evaluation, professional development.
Responsible for governance process, timeline and management of all sports, SID, ATC, Ad Hoc, SAAC, officiating and administrators committees; handbook & sports manual updates.
Responsible for championship timeline, policies and process; seeding, sites, officiating, awards, AQ submission, etc.
Coordinate budgetary responsibilities; SAAC, championship cost share, payment of officials.
Manage internal officiating policies, procedures and process; RFP’s, assignors, best practices, contracts.
Assist with NCAA Compliance; hardship waivers, interpretations, etc. 
Responsible for or assist with programming; New Staff Orientation, SAAC initiatives, Compliance Summit, NCAA Regional Rules.

How has the program helped you get there? 

It is very difficult to get an administrative job in college athletics without a masters degree.  Completing the program and earning my degree complimented the experience I came into the program with.  However, what I gained in the classroom, broadened my knowledge base and provided me with the experience and perspective I was lacking.   

What did you value most about the MSL program, and how can the current class benefit from that thing? 

I was the women's gymnastics coach at MIT from 2004 until the program got cut in 2009.  After they dropped the sport I was able to stay at MIT as the Director of Varsity Equipment Operations.  My supervisor told me that if I wanted to advance in college athletics administration I would need to get my masters degree.  I entered the Sports Leadership program (like many others before me at MIT) expecting only to get that piece of paper I needed to advance in my career.  I quickly realized that what I was learning in the classroom, I was able to utilize in my current position.  My job at MIT was like my own personal "sports leadership lab" where I was able to experiment with the different concepts I was learning while making improvements in the athletics department.  This kind of education was an incredible asset to my professional growth. 

Are you willing to be contacted for networking opportunities? If so, what is the best way to get in touch with you?

Absolutely; email is the best way to get a hold of me: jmiller_mceachern@hotmail.com 

Any other tidbits or advice you'd like to share? 

The professors in the sports leadership program are great to work with and have incredible influence in the the sports industry. Take advantage of their willingness to mentor you as a student and a professional. I continue to stay connected with Dr. Prior and Dr. Wojnar because I am grateful for their commitment to me and feel it's important to give back to the program by mentoring current students myself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tony Price: A Gentleman and a Scholar

Welcome to the Blog!

Introducing Master Taylor