Spotlighting Stephanie
For your second alum, we have Stephanie (Kloos) Smith - a woman many talents and responsibilities. When reflecting on her experience to be a spotlight, she remembered:
"When I was in the Sports Leadership program, there weren't many folks who were interested in the same career path and I'd love to show others another angle you can take your career after graduation".
So, without further ado, I give you Stephanie!
1. Where are you now? And what are your job responsibilities?
I've been working at MIT in the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation dept. since 2006. My current job title is, Associate Director of Recreation, Programs and Fitness. I'm employed by a third party that MIT has hired to run their campus recreation program called, Health Fitness. Day to day I oversee our entire fitness program, special events, and campus outreach. The fitness program has many aspects; we have two different facilities with hundreds of pieces of equipment, we offer around 50 fitness classes per week, about 150 private personal training, massage therapy, golf, squash, and ice skate lessons per week, and serve over 14,000 students and members. One of the most rewarding parts of my job is the campus outreach. I have the opportunity to visit many different departments, labs, centers, and residence halls each year to either bring our programs to them, or talk to them about what we can offer.
2. How has the program helped you get there?
The Sports Leadership program challenged me to reflect and develop my own personal leadership skills and define my style of leading. While I was in the program, there were many days I would learn something one day and directly apply it the next day with a staff member or student. I've been promoted three times in almost 12 years at MIT. I'm not sure I would have seen that success without completing my Master's in Sports Leadership at Northeastern. Not only was the curriculum applicable to my work then and now, but the connections I've made have continued to serve me in my professional growth.
3. What did you value most about the MSL program? And how can the current class benefit from that thing?
I most valued the different options for classes. Since I was not on track to work in high school, collegiate athletics, or professional sports, I used the leadership courses and electives to my advantage in finding classes that would directly compliment my work in a different way than the sports-specific classes.
4. Are you willing to be contacted for networking opportunities? If so, what is the best way to get in touch with you?
Yes, I'd be willing to be available for anyone currently in the campus or community recreation field or interested in learning more about it. Email is best, but I'm willing to meet in person or set up a phone call to answer specific questions or discuss specific topics.
skloos@mit.edu

Keep up the great work, Stephanie. Great to read about all you've been doing since graduation, kudos to you.
ReplyDelete