Introducing Master Taylor
Drumroll please, for your very first alumni spotlight......Taylor Fisher! In a recent email, he said "the program did so much for me and my career". Thank you, Taylor, for explaining how the program made it all possible. You're an inspiration to us all!
Question 1: Where are you now? And what are your job responsibilities?
About a year and a half ago, I got hired to be part of the Business Development team with the Nashville Sounds, Triple-A Affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. We just completed our 40th season, 3rd in our brand new ballpark, First Tennessee Park. We just finished #1 in Minor League Baseball in largest average attendance increase from 2016 to 2017 (an increase of over 1,700 PER GAME from 2016 to 2017, averaging 8,861 fans per game!). We sold out 22 games (10,000+ fans). Business Development is essentially a fancy word for sales guy. The Business Development team's job as part of our sales staff is to target larger corporate clients. I am one of the people who handle corporate partnerships, corporate outings in our suites, picnic areas and other hospitality areas and season ticket memberships. So our offseason is focused on selling new and renewing all of our Season Ticket Members by attending lots of networking and Chamber of Commerce events all around Nashville and Middle Tennessee, giving tours of First Tennessee Park everyday to prospective clients and getting as many meetings as possible to talk about the Sounds and seeing how we can gets as many businesses involved with us.
Question 2: How has the program helped you get there?
I wouldn't be working in baseball had it not been for the Master's of Sports Leadership program. It all started with needing an internship as one of my courses. One of my classmates, Ashley Laramie, is the Assistant General Manager of the North Shore Navigators of the Futures Collegiate baseball League (FCBL). Dr Prior put me in touch with her, she hired me as an intern and the rest is history! So there I was working full-time, doing electrical sales in Tewksbury, MA, doing my Northeastern courses online and doing my baseball internship with the Navs working for Ashley. It was a grind, but it was a blast. I knew after my first day of working for Ashley that I wanted to work in baseball for the rest of my life. After my internship with Ashley, the GM, Bill Terlecky, referred me for my next job in baseball, and I made the transition from full-time electrical sales and baseball intern to the General Manager of my own summer collegiate baseball team. From there, I became a Sponsorship Account Manager for the Frederick Keys in Frederick, MD, the Advanced-A Affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles. Then from Frederick, I moved down here to Nashville. None of that would have been possible had Ashley not hired me as one of her interns. So that alone shows the power of the program. In general terms, the program has been great as far as having lots of connections all over the world, from baseball to football to hockey throughout college sports, and many other teams and organizations. Its helped build an incredible network that anyone in the program can lean on for support, ideas and just plain good friendships.
Question 3: What did you value most about the MSL program, and how can the current class benefit from that thing?
Aside from the friendships I've built, I'd say the most valuable thing is just having everyone's different perspectives. What's so awesome about the program is how different everyone is in their careers, so the perspectives are great. Some people were well-established in their careers looking to build on their successes, others were looking to transition from one part of the industry to another, and then there were people like me, who were looking to get that knowledge and make connections to get their foot in the door. It gave me that additional edge from the millions of people applying to the very limited, and highly coveted number of sports jobs all over the world.
Question 4: Are you willing to be contacted for networking opportunities? If so, what is the best way to get in touch with you?
Yes, I'm absolutely willing to be contacted for networking opportunities. The best way is via email, but I'm totally public and happy to connect with anyone, however!
taylor@nashvillesounds.com
taylorfisher34@gmail.com
Cell: 978-815-7433
FB: Facebook.com/tayfish34
Twitter: @taylorfisher
IG: @tayfish34
LinkedIn: LinkedIn.com/in/tayfish34
Question 5: Any extra words of advice?
As far as some words of advice for people who are in the position I was in when I started the program (not working in sports at the time), once you get that opportunity, I always say DO EVERYTHING and always be early. Our internship class with the Navigators was full of rock stars. Many of us have stayed in contact in some form or fashion since we all worked together in 2013. We were all awesome at our jobs, came to work and did everything expected of us. What made Bill choose me out of everyone else to recommend for that GM position with the Old Orchard Beach Raging Tide up in Maine? To be honest, I've never asked him, but, the one thing I know I did to even be considered as someone he would recommend for any other job is that I did everything. I worked in the fun zone and concession stands, sold programs, and 50/50 raffle tickets, showed up early to help setup things around the ballpark, filled the water jugs for the players, and everything else that was not asked of me. I've carried that mentality with me every since. Be the mascot, scrub toilets, dress up in a giant Johnny Cash costume and race Reba McIntire and George Jones in front of 10,00 people. HAVE FUN! Working in sports is an honor and privilege, so don't let it slip away. Embrace everything that this program will teach you. You will meet a ton of amazing people who can open doors for you and your career. Maybe not today, but down the road you'll reconnect and be working with each other on a similar project. There are so many different sports teams, organizations, etc., but, once you work in sports, you realize how close-knit that community is. Everyone knows everyone, and it opens doors for you that you really never thought possible.

Glad to hear things are going well for you, Taylor. Clearly a great alum to be the first spotlight in our new blog! :-)
ReplyDelete